22 January 2013

Daring to move.

One thing you should know about me is that I can be too proud. It might be a curse of the first born, the fact that we always have to be right, that I can't back down on anything -- and I mean anything.

Take for example when I was in pre-school. My mom used to place some tissue napkins in my lunchbox along with my juice box and baon. Unfortunately, one particular day, the juice box broke or something and pretty much my lunch box was flooded with orange juice. I honestly don't know what possessed me to do what I did, but I did it just to prove my busmate wrong. 


What was it?

I ate the orange drenched tissue.


She told me you can't eat tissue, but I told her my ninang said you can, and so I did.

And I ate all of it.

It's not as bad as the birthday candle I ate when I was about 4. Oh, that wasn't a dare, mind you. That was curiosity mixed with greed.

My sudden introspection has led me to arrive to the conclusion that I've eaten weird things. But that's not the point. The point is I do not back down from a dare. I'm not a highly competitive person, but once you prod me, there I go. 

And so this 2013, I am challenging myself, nay, daring myself to go through with these:

Produce an online magazine

I love magazines. I collect the printed kind, and browse through the digital format. My love for the medium became much more apparent when I was asked to be the moderator of the school paper when I used to teach. And now, I actually want to try to produce one with original content. It's still in its baby stages, but it has something to do with literature, food, and crafts. Now, this e-zine will be a collaborative effort (segue!) and if there is something inside of you that enjoins you to explore this idea with me, kindly drop me a line and we'll talk about it.



Get a tattoo



I've been contemplating about this for quite a long time. C'mon, this is permanent, something that marks you. I want it to be something that I won't regret five to ten years after getting it.


Right now I'm thinking of one of the designs above. The Enso, a feather, and the anchor. Each one has a special meaning, and it's really just a matter of which one to choose first. 



Join a bazaar as a seller


I've always been insecure about my craft. I'm still in the process of transitioning it out of the hobby phase, into something much more special, something more worthy to be shared to others. 


Learn a sport 


I don't fully know a particular team sport. I generally suck at it, especially one that involves balls flying all over the place. So yes, I'd like to learn one that isn't chess or yoga.


We were asked to do five, and then a wild card, but then I just went for the fifth one as my wild card dare courtesy of my blogging partner, Loreen! So what is it?

Not shop or dine-out for month


I am a spender. Most especially with food, and generally things I obsess with. *sigh* I think I need a support group for this? Anyone?

So what would you dare yourself to do for 2013?



*******************************************************
This post has been brought to you by:

12 comments:

  1. That anecdote at the beginning was really entertaining :D That competitive, challenging quality will be great in carrying out your dares for 2013. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to think twice about writing that one. hahaha. Thanks! :) And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. I would love to work with you on an online magazine! I love browsing through them as well on issuu! Let's talk! :D

    I love all your goals in general too, varied yet all quite doable! Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just shrieked in delight (well, I shrieked in my head, haha!). I'll drop you an email, and let's collaborate!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to get a tattoo too when I was in HS. I don't know if you know Barbie Hsu (Meteor Garden fame), she has a star tattoo on the back of her neck. I thought it was the coolest thing. ( >.<)v But now I'm kind of scared of doing things like this. It must be my age. *lol*

    Good luck on your goals for this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! Actually, it's the my parents' voice that's ringing in my subconscious about my hesitation to get one. Hahahaah, and I'm in my mid-20s na!

      Delete
  4. Partner! Hindi ako maka-getover sa pagkain mo ng tissue! Hahaha that's so awesome!! :)

    And as for your magazine, tara! I'd love to write for you! :) I was supposed to edit ung wild card dare ko to "write an online magazine" pero parang madaya haha! Let's talk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! :) I'll drop you a message sa FB.

      Delete
  5. wow, tissue-eating daredevil. I must meet you in person! Thanks for dropping by my blog by the way and leaving a comment. Btw, what's postcrossing? Sounds like fun and I would love to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet you in person! :) I'm a big fan of your blog and your work. Postcrossing lets you exchange postcards with complete strangers from all over the world. :)

      Delete
  6. I think it's cool that you're going for an online magazine too! Haha. I also want to get a tattoo this year but I'm too scared, not of needles, but of my mom. Excited to see your future online mag and tat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey you strong willed girl! (eating a orange juice drenced tissue?!)
    yay for all those things you want to do this year! keep us posted on how it goes. and i wanna see that new tattoo!

    ReplyDelete