09 November 2009

How to rework old clothes?

Me and our house circa April 2008 (OMG, look at that tan...clearly I always wore tees!)

I'm just laughing my head off at that horrible tan line. Anywho, this is the dress I wore to my uni grad last year. Take note that we were supposed to be wearing FilipiƱa type of dresses (with sleeves)and it should be below the knee. BUT -- what the hey right?! Oh, and I'm wearing the sablay which is what we wear instead of the traditional toga and cap when we graduate. Here is some more information about it:

UP Sablay

The UP Sablay is the official academic costume of the University of the Philippines. The official colors of the University, maroon and green, were used in the sablay. Yellow gold, which stands for the high standards of values and excellence, was also used. The colors, based on the Panthone ProSim color chart, are Panthone 195 CVP (maroon), Panthone 349 CVP (green), and Panthone 138 CVP (yellow gold).

The indigenous letters Alibata for U and Alibata for P, originating from the indigenous alphabet called baybayin or katitikan, are equivalent to the Roman letters “U” and “P”, respectively. The curvilinear design called ukkil or ukit, which resembles a sprouting plant, signifies life. The geometric designs (in zigzag and diamond patterns) are common design elements gracing the attires and functional objects of indigenous peoples from Batanes to Tawi-tawi. Arranged continuously and rhythmically, these geometric designs highlight the diverse cultural communities in the Philippines and the University’s pursuit of knowledge, cultural enrichment, and scientific advancement.

Anyway, the reason I wrote this one is because I want to wear it again, but to the office. Well, on a typical day at least. I know that you can't see the details much, but it's an empire waist with a sort of bubble effect of a skirt/dress going on. It kind of looks baby doll-ish from afar and I'm really bad at describing this dress. HAHA.

I wanted to incorporate something grey and something...uh, manly? Like this oxford heels, perhaps?


Taken from {source}

What do you think? Help, please?

Thanks, thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I'm not really feeling the booties with the dress (somehow I think they'd shorten your leg, with the way they cut?) but they sure are cute! I have a pair of black oxford heels, though my heel is a bit shorter than the one pictured. Love 'em to bits =D

    Perhaps almond-toed pumps, if you have a pair? A buttery brown, beige, or gold leather would look FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, the tan line! LOL I can totally relate--back in high school when I played volleyball almost everyday I not only had sleeve lines, but a collar line, cap line, socks lines and even kneepad lines!

    About the dress, maybe you can try pretty ballet flats (to balance out the short hem and make it work safe) or nude peep-toe pumps with a cropped blazer? :) Post pics when you work it out!

    xx
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. THOSE SHOEBOOTS ARE TRES CHIC!

    One Love,
    Jowy
    www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree - love the boots! I'd add a chunky belt to the dress to cinch in the waist and compliment the gorgeous booties :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmer's tan, we say!

    And call me biased, but I hate booties, so take this with a grain of salt

    I think it's too oxford or chunky to wear with such a floaty dress UNLESS you decide to add a leather jacket or something to balance out the fact that you have those booties on your feet and a soft white dress on top.

    With that being said, I'd probably do a nice leather sandal and a light cardigan... or just.. a sandal to keep it open and fresh :)

    Style on a String ..because style has nothing to do with money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your graduation outfit. very chic.

    Love the white dress. Very very cute on you.

    I Am Denise Katipunera

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oxfords! They look great with almost anything =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the oxfords. but with the dress, i think it goes well with flats. =)

    i'm happy to know another filipino fashion blogger! following you!

    http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete