02 November 2009

Dinuguan

I was supposed to write this post last Saturday, but another typhoon fast-tracked its way to the country, and we were all lazing about the house.

Halloween is slowly working its way in the cultural mindset of the everyday Filipino, but undas still reigns supreme. We go to the cemetery to honor our dead loved ones every November 1 and 2, celebrating All Saints Day and All Souls Day respectively.

Anyway, since it is this time of the year, where ghoulish and foul things from the underworld must run amok, I would like to share with you all my grandmother's recipe for Dinuguan -- pork blood stew.

Dinuguan comes from the root word, dugo meaning blood.

On to the ingredients!
Pork blood.
Pig's ears and kasim (my mother tried to translate it to me, so you just have to use your imagination since I'm not too sure either. It's the meat between the shoulder and chest of the pig. Eh.) It really depends on you of course. Some like it with entrails.
Some huge-ass chili peppers.
Onion (though this one is a shallot, I think) and garlic

Some more ingredients not pictured are vinegar, salt and pork stock.

Shave the pig's ears to get rid of unsightly hair, and dice them into squares. Same goes with the kasim. And for the rest of the instructions on how to cook dinuguan you can just google it. I won't fool you or myself into thinking I could cook this dish. You'd see that there are different variations when it comes to the ingredients, but I guess these that I've posted above are the basic ones.

Here is my lola's (grandmother) final product. It's supposed to be black and thicker, but the proportion of meat to blood is too little.

Oh, and remember to keep stirring once you've poured the blood, or else it'll clot.

This dish is best served thick, with hot puto (rice cake? I'm not entirely sure of its English translation) on a cold, cold morning. But other than that, I don't really eat it.

Now, isn't this a recipe you'd want to treat your guests for Halloween? Hm, I wonder what the True Blood characters might think...

4 comments:

  1. Oh memories! I've had this before when I was a kid and was happy to eat it until I learned what it was. Same case for balut. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Hrm, don't know if my friends will take too kindly of me serving it to them for Halloween without exactly letting them know. Although here in the UK they have something called the blood sausage anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that comment up there was moi, btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I know what you mean! Hmmm, have you ever tried isaw then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds gross , ive tasted that 4 years ago.. now i know your perfect halloween recipe.lemme try that one!

    ReplyDelete